About Me

My name is Michael Vincent, I’m a student athlete here at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. I am a health and society undergrad major, and pursuing my masters in health management. I have played football here for the past three years, and in my time here I have been a three-year starter apart of a championship caliber team. I am proud to have the loving family I do, and will do anything for them.

One thing about me is I love food, I love to eat, cook, garden, or do anything that is centered around food. I believe the trajectory of our country’s nutrition has gone down a landslide, in the sense it is slipping away from us, and we are doing nothing about it. That was a big influence and choosing food systems as my web case, as food is something I care deeply about. I believe everyone should have access to healthy nutritious foods to promote healthy living, which unfortunately is not the case around our country, as we have observed food deserts, in-security, and scarcity to be prevalent within our country. By re-educating communities about proper nutrition, and breaking the addiction to processed foods, the demand for healthy foods can help prompt the creation of a supply. This supply could come from community initiatives like regenerative community gardens, where everyone in the community has access, and the ability to be their own provider, instead of being a consumer of unhealthy products. Fixing issues like food insecurity and scarcity in New Orleans takes larger initiatives than just increasing access to food, as the education of proper nutrition is needed to create a demand for it.